Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Sundogs


I couldn't resist posting this photo I took this morning. When the weather is just right, meaning very cold, we experience a phenomenon called Sundogs. Today they are the most defined that I have seen in a long time. They are like little rainbows that form on each side of the sun. It's very beautiful but I still have spots in front of my eyes from taking the photo.
Now I will run out to the studio (and I mean that literally because the wind chill is -29 celsius) and try a colored border on my city quilt.

12 comments:

Pam said...

Great photo - it looks like a giant eye. I have never seen a sun dog before, and I have lived places that it got that cold.

Laura said...

Wow, great picture Joyce! I have never seen a sun dog.

Katie said...

Nature gives us such great beauty. Thanks so much for sharing the sun dog. I've never seen one before either.

Fiona said...

Wow, never seen anything like that.

May Britt said...

This was a very beutiful picture. Have never seen something like this. Does it comes only when it is very cold?

meggie said...

Thanks so much for posting this pic. It is just beautiful. I have never seen one before, or even heard of them.

Lois R. said...

Wow! that's beautiful. I never heard of sundogs before

Paula, the quilter said...

I, too, have never heard of sundogs. Is it possible it's a combination of latitude and cold?

Libby said...

Beautiful picture -- try to stay warm. Sounds awfully cold to me *s*

Shelina said...

I've never heard of a sundog before. Wow, that is so neat!

Cynthia said...

wow!! what a photo. It's beautiful. I haven't heard of a Sundog either.

Carol said...

I've never seen anything like that before. In fact I've only seen the snow once in my life! Thanks for sharing that, it's beautiful.