Search This Blog

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Outer Space?


The Teddy Bears are now ready to quilt. I will put it aside for awhile until I feel like quilting with a lot of thread changes. This one is quite small (about 25x30 inches) so it won't take long to do.


Meanwhile, I took a hand dyed fabric made from all the leftover bits of dye at the end of a session and cut it into 6.5 inch squares. I chose that size because it's the width of my ruler but also it's big enough to show up the patterns. I had it arranged with the red in the middle but I forgot to take a photo before trying this arrangement. I'll do some more playing around before I sew it together. The big question is, what color should the sashing be? I originally thought I'd use white or off white but maybe black or navy blue would be better. Opinions?

10 comments:

Mary said...

I played a little in Paint with the picture. When I put it on a black background with a large black border it looked a bit like looking through window panes from a dark room to a sunrise or something. I like black for sure

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have found that black and white prints (mostly black) work well with hand dyes.

Nellie's Needles said...

Teddy Bear Picnic is cute.

The new one looks like something FUN to play with. I'd be tempted to try each of the hues in the spectrum for the sashings. What does gray look like in there?

Lynn Cohen said...

cute cute cute.

MyCretanlife said...

Love the teddybears picnic. It's turned out really good.
Now your new project. I think the colours are just great. Maybe black would work well. It will give it a stained glass sort of feel.

Libby Fife said...

Those teddy bears turned out great! Do you have to use sashing for the other quilt? I like the idea of it with no sashing. You could also try a color wash from corner to corner. Great start.

Debra Dixon said...

Teddy Bear's Picnic is so cute!

maybe a fabric with some texture would be cool--like some corduroy? or satin? like the idea of a contrasting color or the B&W prints.

em's scrapbag said...

I have enjoyed watching the teddy bear quilt come together. I love how bright and cheery it is. You dyed fabric is wonderful. Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Carrie - Ann said...

Hi Aunt Joyce.
I really like the dyed fabric.
How about no sashing, & put the blocks together to look like a wave of one color fading into the next? Or an exploding rainbow effect...

Chris Daly said...

Your Teddy Bears' Picnic is adorable. I love your hand dye arrangement. It reminds of the earth from space. I will be curious to see how you finish it.