Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Black Bag


I really liked the shape and size of the brown bag but I wanted a zipper so today I started a black one. I also put an outside pocket on it that you can see in the picture below.


I am struggling with the lining. It is too big, probably because the bag is quilted and the lining is not. I may have to redo it slightly smaller or take bigger seams on it. The strap and hardware are from a thrift shop bag. I think I'll have to shorten the strap but it has a really nice matching rivet on it and I don't think I can re-use it. It won't look as nice sewn but it is completely doubled right now and it's still a bit long. I added a zipper, not the easiest thing I've ever done but it turned out pretty good. Now I will hand sew the lining in if I can ever get it to fit properly.

12 comments:

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

Great little bag! Love it and so smart of you to get the hardware at a thrift shop!

Thimbleanna said...

VERY pretty Joyce! I was wondering how you got that strap to look so professional. ;-) I love the pretty black print you've used.

Vicki W said...

Don't give up - that's a lovely bag!

Lynn said...

very nice work both brown and black.

Exuberant Color said...

The best way to deal with the quilted items is to quilt the fabric first and then cut out the bag. A couple tucks sewn into the lining will probably work. The bag is very attractive.

Darcie said...

It's darling! I love your flower applique. And the quilting is superb!!! It just dazzles all around. ;-)

Opening day tomorrow, right?! You'll have to fill me in when you have time.

Myra said...

Great bag Joyce! Love the fabrics! 8-)

LC said...

Smart looking bag! Way to go!

em's scrapbag said...

Now that is stylin' I love it!

meggie said...

This bag looks very smart! I am sure you can coax the lining to fit!

Lonci said...

Very good bag:)

Fulvia Luciano, artist said...

That's a very handsome bag.