Friday, May 01, 2009
This lesson was on how to take a photo and break it down into parts so you can fuse it with fabric. The pear is the pattern that was in the book. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. Trying to get the pieces right side up was quite a challenge. Not to mention getting the right fabric colors. The one in the book was done in greens but I thought I'd try it in yellows.
For my original one I chose a photo I took of a lily I was given at Easter. I have just started on this one. I'll do some shading with either paintsticks or pencils. I'll do a couple of practise ones on the photocopy before I start on the real one. The stamens will be made much finer with either hand embroidery or couching if I can find the right color of yarn or string. I'll use some kind of bead at the end of each stamen but not the ones I have in the picture. I want the leaves to fade into the background so I'll just quilt them in. If I can get the shading right it should show the curl of the leaves. I'll probably try to enhance that effect with the quilting.
This one will be a real learning experience. I have never tried re-creating a photo this way and the shading on fabric will be something new too.