Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Semolina Cake



I needed a cake to take to our daughter's for her birthday supper. Yes, she made her own birthday meal but she loves cooking so it wasn't a bad thing (Especially for us. She has a way with a roast chicken..). I had run out of eggs, which eliminated most recipes. I found this one, Semolina 1-2-3 Cake, in Home Baking by Alford and Duguid. It had no eggs so I thought I'd give it a try. It turned out to be absolutely delicious. I should know by now that all their recipes are excellent. It is made mainly with coarse semolina and yogurt with lemon flavouring. When it is still hot from the oven you pour some sugar syrup, made while the cake was cooking, over the top. It then has to sit for a couple of hours to let the syrup sink in. It got a two thumbs up from everyone who tasted it.

3 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I only have their flatbreads book, not the home baking. Looks like I'll have to get it. I make a lemon bread with a lemon/sugar syrup that's just delicious, but it has eggs. I like the idea of having it as a cake.

Kay said...

Anything lemon is yum in my book!

Libby Fife said...

That does sound good. I bet it was moist too with the yogurt and syrup.