Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2006



We very much enjoyed the Artists' Weekend that we attended Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
I was in charge of Batik and dyeing. I am no expert in the field but it turned out not to matter. I explained how to use the Procion dyes and from there they just ran with it. Several people had done some tie dyeing in the past and all of them were interested in art so they just went for it. There were some amazing results. The checkered looking piece was done on a thrift shop linen tablecloth. It was a long one so they cut it in half lengthways to make two sarongs. We supplied lots of old sheets and some unbleached muslin to work on. Unfortunatly a couple of the sheets were poly-cotton and didn't take the dye as well as the pure cotton, but people were not that concerned with results. They were much more interested in the process. Soon everyone who was camping there was delving into their backpack or suitcase looking for white colthing to dye. It was great!
On the quilting front, I got the yellow zig zag removed from the Mamas wall hanging. I was very anxious to get it out before leaving so I would not be faced with that the second I got back. It took a long time but I managed to do it without snagging the purple or red fabric so I was happy. Now I may try quilitng around it with yellow thread as Tonya suggested. I will know once the meander is done, if it needs the yelllow outline. Hopefully, I will be posting photos of it finished later today or tomorrow.

5 comments:

Laura said...

What fun! And they all look so pretty drying in the breeze!

Unknown said...

Well done for getting out that yellow stitching successfully - what a lovely feeling once you've got rid of that sort of a job - love the dyeing - what fun :o)

Lily Mulholland said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend Joyce. Glad the stitching came out with no trouble.

Tonya Ricucci said...

That checkered cloth in particular looks gorgeous. Wish I could have been there having fun.

ForestJane said...

I'm glad you were able to get the yellow out - don't you hate unstitching? And all the dyed fabric looks glorious! Sounds like you were all having fun.