Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cheesy Day

Today I went to a cheese making workshop. Here is mozzarella being stretched.


Here are some of the things we made including butter and cheddar shown in the picture. We also made mozzarella, ricotta, cottage cheese and queso blanco. We got to taste some two month old Monterey Jack which might just be the best cheese I ever tasted. It was made from fresh milk from a cow fed on organic grass and unpasteurized. (The milk,not the cow, although when I think of it the cow probably hasn't been in the pasture all winter so maybe the cow is unpasturized too.) I was surprised at how easy it is to make cheese. There will be more fresh cheese around here soon.

9 comments:

MyCretanlife said...

Hi Joyce,
Pleased you enjoyed the cheese making. Here in Crete they make a lot of their own cheeses with sheep and goat milk. I have a book on cheese making but never given it a go.

jovaliquilts said...

I attended a cheese-making workshop last spring and was also surprised by how easy it is to make. I found some directions online for making feta with various types of milk and thought I might give that a try soon.

Libby Fife said...

OK-bread, cheese...? You are killing me! Now if you could just go to a wine making class...

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Wow - how industrious!

I think if a cow has walked past you then it must be pasteurized...as it has gone "past-your-eyes" :o)

Couldn't help a bad joke!!

Gayle said...

Such a fun post! There's nothing like fresh mozzarella. :-)

Barbara Strobel Lardon said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm Ishould not have looked at this at 3:30 pm! I am trying to lose a few pounds and now I just want to head home and slice some cheese and pour myself a glass of wine (thanks to Libby!).

Lynn E said...

That sounds like a great day! Learning something new and having goodies to eat at the end of it all.

Wish they did stuff like this near Selkirk

Ali Honey said...

It's wonderful to learn new skills. I will be your taster if you need one...send it right this way!

Cher said...

oh yum, fresh cheese! love the scrappy quilt from the previous post-nothing beats a quilt made entirely from scraps-back to front.
I love to pull together scrap batting for a truly "free" quilt.