Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2007

Merry Sunshine


Today I did major surgery on Merry Sunshine. I just couldn't get the sun's rays to work out. I had cut the rays with the wrong angle and I kept getting a weird space in the middle no matter how I placed them. I couldn't re-cut the rays because I have no more yellow. I would love to have used the firey looking orange that I had but there is only a tiny piece left. Finally I cut a big piece of blue and top stitched the rays and the sun to it. The first ray on the right is still a bit off but since it's a wonky quilt after all, I decided to leave it. It also eliminates the problem of how to stabilize the top for hanging. It does lose something by being square but, hey, you go where the quilt takes you!



I made another little quiltlet today, starting with an idea from The Uncommon Quilter. She has some beautiful crayon rubbings taken from toombstones. I have some fabric crayons that I got at, yes you guessed it, the thrift shop. I have been wanting to try them so here was my chance. Not having a toombstone handy,I used green crayon over a round leaf repeated three times. It may need a bit more quilting, maybe in a different color. I'll hang it on my bulletin board and see if it speaks to me in the next couple of days.

11 comments:

Carol E. said...

I love your Merry Sunshine quilt! It turned out great and very pleasing to the eye. Don't worry about the rays. They only seem "wrong" to you.

Silverthimble said...

Merry Sunshine looks great!

Clare said...

Don't worry about the rays - they look lovely as they are. I tihnk it's gorgeous and I love the bright summery colours.

Still haven't received my copy of The Uncommon Quilter, but if it has inspired you to do stuff like that then I'm looking forward to it.

Lily Mulholland said...

Joyce it looks great. Glad you found such a great solution too!

Cher said...

I think this Sunshine piece is wonderful !!! I really love the colors and the letters and the figures! I think it turned out perfectly-very well done Joyce.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think I like it squared off better than the irregular shape. The rays look great and seem to be reaching farther now with the different lengths.

Libby said...

Merry Sunshine looks great - it's so fun to see where creativity and design can take you.

Thimbleanna said...

Merry Sunshine is looking great -- is it all ready to quilt now?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Wow! It looks wonderful, even if you lost the rounded top!

meggie said...

When I read the words, the photo hadn't loaded, & I was thinking I would be disappointed, but once I saw it, I think it looks even better!
Love those leaves too.

atet said...

Your Mary Sunshine quilt is wonderful! I love the "fix" you used as well, it seems just perfect!