Search This Blog

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Uncommon Quilt


Here is my first attempt at making a mini-quilt using The Uncommon Quilter as a starting point. I took the idea for the tree trunks from one of Jeanne's quilts but hers was a flower stem. Then I thought I'd try the wavy blades for the rotary cutter that have been sitting around unused for a couple of years. The stems looked too big for flowers but reminded me of palm trunks. I was going to make felt leaves but while rummaging around for the right color of felt I came across a bag of bright blue feathers from the thrift store. Hmmm... they look a bit like leaves. They needed a center to cover all the feather ends so out came the felt. I covered the whole thing with netting to keep the feathers under control. When it came to quilting it, the trees seemed to be blowing in the wind so I made wind lines sort of following the trees. I had a bit of silver trim that seemed to want to go around the edge. One thing I learned today is that it's a LOT easier to quilt something that is 10x12 than a queen sized quilt.
I will follow Jeanne's advice and write on the back of it mentioning my inspiration and the date. I'm not sure if I should put #1 on it. Will that cause pressure to make a lot of them? It was really fun and I got to use some of the stuff from the big drawer full of thrift store "junk" that I've been saving forever.

5 comments:

carmel said...

that is so cool mum! i like the direction you are heading!

i have so much crap here, you could make a quilt big enough to cover half the town.
I'll start making little piles of stuff that can go together and come up with ideas of what it could be... oh wait, i don't have all the stuff you have in the studio!! haha, oh well....

have you heard of that plastic stuff that they sell here at spotlight (i think)? you put all the stuff you want on your fabric down - like ribbon, lace, feathers, sequins, strips or bits of fabric, etc. then you lay this plastic over top and iron it. then you sew all over the top of it - just random. This makes sure everything is sewn at some bit to the backing fabric.When you are done, you wash the whole lot. the plastic is water soluble so melts off! cool eh?!? i think i've told you about it before. Not sure if you have it over there (probably) but if not we can get you some here...
xo
carm

Donna said...

I love the wind swept look of those palms!. Sounds like you had a fun time following where the quilt led you... enjoy :-)

Nellie's Needles said...

What FUN! I love the feathers.

meggie said...

How intriguing that has turned out! I love the idea of the blue feathers for the palm leaves.
Spotlight had a big sale on last night & I missed out on it!
Family dramas came first.

Lily Mulholland said...

Cool Joyce! Like the netting idea and I think that's the first time I've ever seen silver binding :)