Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Slow Cooker Curry

Judy asked for my Curry recipe so I thought I'd share it here. The Corriander Pepper sauce was exceptionally good with it. I served it with brown rice, but noodles would be great too. Sorry, there is no picture. It didn't last long enough!

Cocoanut Curry Chicken
12 skinless chicken thighs
2 onions chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1 cup chicken stock
1 can cocoanut milk
2 tbsp curry paste (I used Red Thai, one pouch)
4 carrots sliced
1 can chickpeas (I didn't use this, some people here don't like them)
2 cups frozen peas (I didn't have these either but it would have been nicer)
1 cup cashew or peanuts
Fry chicken and put in slow cooker.
Fry onions and garlic and add.
Add everything else except the peas and nuts
Cook on low 5 hours. Mine was in longer because we went for a walk. Add peas. Thicken with flour if you like it thicker. I didn't. Cook on high for15 min more if you add the peas and thickener. Add nuts just before serving or serve nuts and fresh cilantro separately. Cilantro is a love or hate it kind of herb so some people would thank you for that.
I also made this condiment which was a big hit and even better a couple of days later.

Pepper and Corriander (Cilantro) Paste
1 tbsp chopped garlic
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp whole peppercorns
2 cups cilantro including stems and roots if available
2 tbsp lemon juice
Crush garlic with salt to a paste. roast peppercorns in dry pan and then crush in mortar and pestle. (Or just grind from your pepper grinder into mixture). Put everything into blender and puree. I used whole peppercorns and the food processor but it didn't grind up most of the peppercorns. Biting into a whole peppercorn! Yikes! Adjust the pepper according to how hot you like it. It was even better a couple of days later when the flavours had blended more.

3 comments:

meggie said...

I am just going to have to make that! It sounds divine! And I love corriander, though my cousin swears it tastes like insects!
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Such a good idea for that end of the day, when I really dont feel like cooking!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Oh to be able to eat spicy food again! The recipes look delicious. If you ever need a recipe for borscht, let me know.

Cher said...

I love how your wrote this recipe! I do the same thing-add my little asides and allow folks to do or not do as the recipe states....I will add this to my list to try out soon!
thanks for sharing