Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2007

Jam


Yesterday we made wild plum jam. We have several wild plum trees on our property and often they have only one or two plums on them. This year they are loaded. Less than half an hour's picking yielded all this jam. Wild plums are much smaller and more tart than tame ones. The jam is delicious. Now we are left with trees full of plums that will probably go to the birds. There are ten pints and eight half pints. How much jam can two people eat?
In a few weeks there will be lots and lots of wild cranberries. They are not quite ripe yet. We will make cranberry jelly and cranberry ketchup when the time comes.
Yesterday I finally finished sewing down the binding on Maggie's Farm. As soon as I glue on the eyes and sew on the label it will be oficially finished and I'll post a last picture of it.

8 comments:

Judy said...

I'll trade you some sorbet for some wild plum jam!!! LOL

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have never heard of cranberry ketchup. What do you use it on? And what are the other ingredients?
Wanda

molly said...

Yum! And I love that bag you've been posting pics of, from Welsh Quilter. May have to try that. After, of course, I finish some other WIPs!

KC Quilter said...

Mmmm...that jam looks delish!

Laurie Ann said...

I used to make jam from pie cherries. The tartness of the cherries made really good jam!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Mmmm - I"ve never heard of wild plum jam! They look wonderful!

Colleen said...

I wished I lived closer to you and I would buy some plums from you. It looks delicious. There is just nothing as good as homemade jam and I like the tartness, too. Yes, what is cranberry ketchup? I'm very intrigued?

meggie said...

That jam is a lovely colour. Isn't it strange how crops in the wild fluctuate so much? I guess they would all be the same, but for man's tinkering.