Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Sewing Room Re-organization

I have been working on re-organizing my sewing studio for the past few days. I have a car load of stuff to go to the thrift store, mostly old patterns and fabric that I know I won't use. I have moved the sewing machine to the north side so I won't get such a glare from the sun in the mornings which is when I do most of my sewing. That meant I needed to move my design wall so it would be easier to see from the sewing machine. Then I moved the dyeing table to where the design wall used to be. Now I need to invest in some shelving or drawers for my fabrics and other odds and ends. I need one more plastic drawer set under the shelf that the serger is sitting on and then I'll move the boxes that are holding it up right now. I had one set of drawers that I thought would work but they ended up being about a half inch taller than the ones I bought at Wallmart.


This is the design and tools wall. I have actually done some quilting on Maggie's Farm but it's not going as fast as I would like. I am a bit stalled trying to decide what kind of quilting to put aronud the letters at the top. It will probably end up being meandering but I need to move on from that type of pattern soon.


This is the dyeing corner. I will put some shelving above the table to hold the dyes. I may replace the table as it is too low. The cupboard that is at the right side of the picture also has to go. The drawers are too big and it's too low. I want open shelves there with some sort of counter top. I have been checking the internet to see what is available. I wish we had an Ikea store near here.



The junk corner that needs some work. Here I have my silk painting stretchers, some quilt frame pieces, a bow that my grandson made me for my birthday when he was about 8 or 9 (I probably will never use it but I can't throw it away!) and yes, that is a digeridoo. I bought it as a souvenier the first time I went to Australia. I still have never been able to get a sound out of it.
There are also some books that need a bookshelf with more space between the shelves so the books can stand up and the Husqvarna sewing machine that the kids use when they come to sew. I guess organizing is always a work in progress.

11 comments:

Donna said...

one of the neat things I saw at quilting bee was blocks for under a table like your dyeing one. It was a rectangular block the length = the table leg width + a bit. The top had a groove cut into it for the table legs to sit in. Because the groove was inset from the ends of the block, the table was held securely by the block... The one I saw was about 3-3.5 inches thick, raising the table just enough to work on comfortably....

Deb said...

Have you checked out the storage systems at IKEA? They are great for sewing rooms. If you don't have one locally you can shop on-line. Here is a link to my sewing room if you are interested in getting more ideas: http://www.stitchinheaven.com/sewingroom.html

Pam said...

Maggies Farm looks so good! It looks like you have a nice big area to sew in there.

I bought a set of "bed risers" at Linens and Things that raised my table up about 6 inches. The blocks under the table legs are also work well.

meggie said...

Having packed everything away to have the carpet laid, I am reluctant to clutter up again! I need to get it all out to begin sewing again.
A distant young cousin taughter herself to play the digeridoo by blowing into a vaccuum cleaner pipe! And she can really play well. But I unstood only males were supposed to play them!

Lily Mulholland said...

Ah for a sewing room! And dyeing, and, and, and! Well done Joyce on your sewing room WIP!

Unknown said...

WOW, you have a big room, and to full it up is just too tempting! Congratulations on your reorganising. Shame you haven´t got an IKEA around, they have great shelves and cupboards. Guess how I know:I live 3 km away from one!
Take care.

Lynda said...

It's always good to reorganise your sewing room - I do it regularly, and find all kinds of buried treasures! Your room looks to be in good order anyway. have fun planning and orting.

Libby said...

Hope you enjoy your new set up. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that I did a major clean up but need to do so again. Think that means I need to come up with a new system *s*

Colleen said...

I'm brand new to blogging and just ran across your blog site. I loved reading through your post. I just acquired a sewing room since my daughter got married in December and moved out. I do still have a bed in there for company when they come so it's a little mroe crowded than I would like, but I envy you your design wall. I would love to have a design wall. It is so fun to have my very own room. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize it. We just got a new IKEA the end of July and I haven't been out there yet. It sounds like I need to go from everyone's comments. I would love to hear from you.

atet said...

Wow -- what an amazing amount of work you have been doing! Your space is amazing now -- can't wait to see what happens when you get all of your storage worked out!

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Ikea but I've heard great things about it. Your sewing area looks like you have plenty of space to spread out :-)