Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Thrift Score Again!


This is what I found at the thrift store today! I have long been wishing for a Featherweight and I couldn't believe it when I saw one there. On top of everything, all sewing machines were 10% off this week. The case is in very good condition and doesn't smell of mildew. The only condition issue it has is that the clasps are broken off and have been replaced with a new one in the middle. It has the manual and most of the attachments. It sews like a dream. Do I need another sewing machine? About as much as I need some more bags. But what has need got to do with it? Unfortunately, the person who priced it was aware of the value of Featherweights so I did end up paying almost $300 for it. They must have checked on Ebay because that seems to be about the going price.
When I put it back in the box to take it to the checkout, I didn't get it in quite right and the lid wasn't closed properly. The guy at the checkout took his fist and hit the top of the lid to try to close it. I almost screamed! He was about to hit it again when I stopped him and said I'd take it like that and fix it at home. Luckily, there seems to have been no damage to it.

18 comments:

meggie said...

Wow, lucky you! Obviously the clot who hit it, had no idea of the value!

Kay said...

Congratulations. You did make a find!

Brenda said...

I think $300 is a decent price. I have a Fw too, but it still lives with my mother until it finally comes my way. I see you have a quilting foot and other assorted ones. I bought a Singer 99 at a yard sale years back and I've been fidding with it lately to see if its a better way to machine quilt than my Elna. I'm missing the darning foot, but I got one at the Singer store near me. Congrats on a great find.

Janet said...

Great find. My friend found one like you did, in a thrift store. Someone didn't realize what they had.

ale balanzario said...

Wow, Great find. I learnt to sew in one of them, my moms Pride, will need to ask her is she still has it.

Congratulation,

Ale.

Silverthimble said...

What a great find! You may not need another sewing machine, but you DO need a Featherweight! LOL

Lynn Cohen said...

I love thrift store finds...but want to top that price.
What is special about a featherweight? Is that the model name?

Lynn Cohen said...

I just Googled Featherweight Singer and got great info. It seems your price is very good indeed. The low end of a range up to $1700. Some were sighted at garage sales as low as $40 however.
But it also sounds like yours is in very good condition and with all or most all it's parts. You can find the year it was made on the bottom it said. congrats on great sale made. Pardon my ignorance in my above comment.

Wanda said...

Great find! Isn't it amazing that a sewing machine lasts as long as it does? My mother and grandma always told me that a sewing machine could be a family hierloom. I never really got it..until I saw their machines. Completely well kept and they look like new..and yet they are decades and decades old. Wonderful!

Clare said...

Green, green, green! (with envy).

They obviously did know the value of it, otherwise they wouldn't have put that price on it. Have you tried her yet? There's loads of info on the Yahoo Featherweight group.

Libby Fife said...

Lucky girl! I am so envious but happy for you too:)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I just about yelped when I read it hit it! Who did he think he was...the fonz!?

Glad it didn't get damaged and that it sews so nice..I've seen the odd one here but they fetch a lot of money.

Paula, the quilter said...

O man, he could have broken off the spool pin! Hey, there is a featherweight group on Yahoo Groups that is a wealth of information: parts, cleaning, repairing. FYI.

em's scrapbag said...

What a find. I am so jealous. I want a feather weight so bad. I am very happy for you. The doll book is lovely also.

Lily Mulholland said...

They sure don't make thrift stores like yours around here!

I can't believe it still had the manual!

Susie Q said...

It may have been about what an ebay buy would have been, BUT you did not have to pay shipping and wonder if it would get to you whole. Enjoy !

Darcie said...

!!! Ohmygoodness! What a rescue!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh cool! What a find!!!!!