Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2005


I am too impatient to wait until I have finished the binding on my current quilt before starting the new one so I have made a couple of samples. Actually, I usually do my hand quilting in the sunroom of the house because the light is so good and then I am able ( usually) to thread those quilting needles with the microscopic eyes. Therefore, I don't feel bad starting the next quilt out in the studio. Here are the fabrics I have to work with. The one that looks blue is actually black with tiny gold specs that look like the milky way. Very beautiful. The yellow is some hand dyed fabric I had left over from the last quilt. I thought it was needed to add a bit of life to the mix. It looked too drab without it.
Here are a couple of samples that I made. I really like the yellow and blue star but it doesn't suit the fabric so I think I will go with the other one which is called Fire Wheel. I found it on a page of free quilt block patterns at this site: http://www.quilterscache.com/D_F/FirewheelBlock.html
It is an amazing site with hundreds of patterns.
I started making the Firewheel block with my new fabric but ran out of thread in the bobbin just as it was time to go to the house to get supper ready. I thought I would finish later but it's cold, snowy and dark for the walk to the studio so it will just have to wait until tomorrow.

No comments: