Search This Blog

Friday, February 23, 2007

Playing with Colour




I had a lack of energy this week so I thought I'd just play with colours from my scraps using a pattern by Judy Howarth that I saw in a magazine . I love seeing what different colors will look like together. Since it's all in small pieces, I can use up some of my scraps and strips. I'm not sure how large it will grow. The navy blue sashing will probably not stay there because I don't think I have enough of it. It also depends on the colours I use on any more blocks. Sorry that the picture seems a bit blurry on the upper right corner. It looked fine before I uploaded it. I will blame Blogger instead of my poor photography skills.

I thought some of you might be interested in the stretchers I use for silk painting, batik or any other dyeing that needs the fabric to be stretched on a frame. The pieces slide along the grooves to adjust the size of the frame. I have some 6 ft long ones and some that are about 4 ft. They can be mixed and matched with these shorter ones to make a long rectangle. I learned about these stretchers from a silk painting class I took. They are pretty easy to make if you have someone with a router to make the grooves. The hardware on the end is a wing nut with the other end that is a wood screw that is put into the end of the piece. If anyone wants more detailed instructions I can send you measurements etc.

9 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Those blocks are great!!

quiltpixie said...

fun colour combinations... I particularily like the red and purple on the top left

Hope you're warm and cozy during the blizzard today and keep your power so that sewing machine can go :-)

meggie said...

Keep warm Joyce!
I like those colour combinations- increasingly, I am finding 'anything goes' seems to appeal to me!

Nellie's Needles said...

Ooooo...I like it! Wonderful bright colors and an unusual black and white for that checkerboard effect.

Cynthia said...

interesting blocks Joyce. I look forward to seeing the progress with them.

Lily Mulholland said...

Great way to play with colour and use up some scraps at the same time!

Am envious of your time able to spend dyeing, etc. One day, one day! I'll just have to absorb what you do until then :)

Judy said...

Like what you're doing with those quilt blocks.
I use Susan Moyer's stretcher system now....I have no router, nor anyone who knows how to use one. Your system looks great and very doable!
xo

Libby said...

Sometimes I think we make quilts just so we can have scraps to play with *s*

Unknown said...

Very interesting color combinations. Isn´t it so , that the more we dare, the bolder we get. Can´t wait to see more blocks