Saturday, May 10, 2008
I got frustrated with my Out of the Block Quilt. It looks too orange with the triangles on the sides. I'm not sure what color needs to go there . Maybe just more blocks and then cut square even if it goes through a block. That's how it is done in the book but I'm not sure I like that.
In the end, I put it to the side and started sewing scraps together and in only a few hours came up with this scrappy quilt top. Here are the reasons I love this technique.
1. There is no thinking involved. You just grab whatever piece is handy.
2. It goes together incredibly fast.
3. There is no matching at all.
4. It always looks great no matter what you do.
5. It gets rid of some scraps.
6. It is true to the original idea of quilting; making do and making something from nothing.
7. It's great to practise machine quilitng on because the mistakes won't show.
Really, it's a wonder I ever do anything else.