Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting There


I finished sewing the strips this morning and am now sewing the strips together.
I have started thinking about the borders. I want fairly narrow black borders. I was thinking of inserting a gold strip but then I tried a gold braid and that looked great. Too bad I haven't got enough of it to go all the way around. My question is, if I go with the gold braid would I add it after quilting or before? I may be able to find a gold fabric that would work as well but I don't have anything on hand that I feel would suit.

7 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I would couch the gold braid down after quilting if it is really thick. If it is smaller, couch it down before quilting like I did on the "Zen Garden" swap quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think I would put the braid on after quilting, then you can measure an even distance in from the finished edge so it will look staight. Sometimes borders distort a little in quilting. the other option is put it on before quilting, and then measure from the braid an even amount to cut off when trimming backing and batting.

em's scrapbag said...

I would put the braid on after just so it doesn't get in your way while you quilt.

Lise said...

I haven't done the braid yet, but I've seen it and I think it would be easier to put after quilting...can't wait to see it , so far it's a beauty...Lise

Fiber Babble said...

Didn't you say you don't have enough braid? Will you be able to get more?

What about inserting a 1/4" gold flange in the middle of two narrow black borders? They say not to quilt over a flange, btw, but if it's a delineator, it is easy to have a motif in the center that works out to the flange and a separate border motif for the outside. Of course, you could ignore Them.

Anonymous said...

that's the coolest quilt I've ever seen. I want one. :)

Myra said...

Your K quilt is coming along nicely! Perhaps instead of gold braiding, you could do a fancy stitch with a gold metallic thread? Just a thought...