Friday, December 29, 2006
Pamphlet Hanger Done
I finished the Pamphlet Hanger this morning and already I can see things I would do differently. Mainly, I would put some sort of heavier backing on it. It puckered a bit when I sewed on the pockets and I think it generally just looks a bit flimsy. It may look better when it is filled with pamphlets. I would sew the binding to the back and topstitch it down on the front. It would look just as good and save a lot of time. I kept forgetting that it was not a quilt and that no one would ever see the back. I put on a bottom hanging sleeve in case it buckles when it's full. Still, I really like the look of it and it should brighten up Christine's office. I didn't have any dowling to put in the sleeve so in the photo it's just pinned to my design wall.
Once that was done, inspired by my new quilting book and recalling Tonya's wonky houses, I used some of the jungle print from the hanger to make these houses. I think the rest of them will be more wonky though. My feeling is, the wonkier the better. I might also remove the grass from the monkey house and put in the vine fabric with a dark path like the hippo has. I also don't like the way the sky comes only to the edge of the roof but that might have to stay. If it were more wonky that area would look better. I do love how the fabric made the door for the monkey and he is standing in front of his house. There are several more animals in the fabric so there will be more houses.