Search This Blog

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Our Trip

We decided to take a little road trip to celebrate our anniversary. We drove to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. You need to be Canadian to spell that one first try! It's a beautiful city in northern Saskatchewan, the next province west of us. What we really wanted to see was the Crooked Bush, about an hour and a half northwest of Saskatoon.


The Crooked Bush is a strange unexplained phenomenon. There is a small grove of Aspen trees that are very crooked and twisted. The other types of trees in the grove are straight. The trees just outside the grove are also normal. It's eerie and odd looking.






Here is the little write up that was posted in the middle of the grove.
The next day we headed for Moose Jaw (one of my favorite names for a city!) , a few hours south of Saskatoon. Moose Jaw is famous as a location used by Al Capone during prohibition in USA. We wanted to enjoy the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa there and as a huge bonus, I read about an outdoor quilt show that just happened to be held on Sunday. The spa was wonderful and apparently the water contains many of the same minerals as are found in the water at Bath in England.
The quilt show was amazing. I'll be posting pictures of that tomorrow.

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Did you manage to get to the Quilt Patch in Moose Jaw?

Lily Mulholland said...

Congratulations on 45 years of marriage! What an amazing achievement. Glad you had a great trip too!

Mary Dylke said...

I am Canadian and I think "Saskatoon" (or Toon Town as it is affectionately known) and "Saskatchewan" are two of the weirdest place names imaginable! I believe the origin is Cree. Glad you enjoyed your Canadian vacation!

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunt Joyce!!
I just looked at your blog. I didn't know you were comming so close to my house!!
I can "spit & hit" the crooked bush from where we live !!!
You guys should have looked me up. I would have loved to show you more of my quilts...
Oh well...
Carrie - Ann

Darcie said...

Very cool. Seems a large rock or two would be a nice accompaniment to the gnarled trees, don't you think?! ;-)

Glad that you got to relax and enjoy the natural spa, too. True bliss. What a lovely vacation!