Search This Blog

Monday, June 30, 2008

Almost There


This morning I almost finished the quilting on this quilt. I just have to pin it back on the frame to do the two side borders. I was about six inches from the end when I broke a needle. Changed the needle, took three stitches and broke another one. Had trouble inserting the next needle (lucky thing the machine came with several spare needles but I do need to get some more) but finally got it in. Checked the quilt and found a hidden pin that was the culprit. That took an extra half hour of fiddling around. Now I need to trim it a bit and do those last two borders. It will be a long one to bind though, because it is so huge and I am not the world's fastest hand sewer. Still, the end is in sight.

8 comments:

Myra said...

Fantastic Joyce! I spent the day doing some quilting too, but called it quits when I was having trouble with it last night.
If I lived next door, or even the town over from you, I would come and help you with hand stitching your binding... 8-)
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

So there's a light at the end of the tunnel! Great job!
I left a piece of a broken needle (a handquilt needle size 12!) in DD's quilt. Every now and than she feels it, but she's unable to find it and get it out. I told her it is intended to think of her mum every now and then *lol*

Lily Mulholland said...

Well done Joyce :) I can imagine that will take a few sessions to get the binding on, but you are so close to the finish!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

After that large of a quilt you probably know more realistically what you can do on the frame. Could you have had bigger than a 3" design to work with on this large of a quilt? It looks really good.

Libby said...

Way to go - glad you found that pesky pin . . . it could have caused even more drama on down the line *s*

Darcie said...

Oooh...owie. Glad you found it! Maybe you'll want to keep an eye on your bobbin case and your hook assembly...to see that it doesn't have a nasty burr on it.

LOVE the quilt! I'm always excited to see just those simple pieces of fabric turn into something so striking. Great job!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Super quilt. Every once in a while, a pin gives me trouble, too.

meggie said...

It looks so good! I actually enjoy the handsewing- specially if I can find a patch of sun, to sit in!