Search This Blog

Friday, June 27, 2008

On The Big Machine

This is how far I have gotten on the ripping out. I make myself do a bit every day before I start the fun stuff. It's hard around the edges where I put leaves coming to a point, but the middle goes quite fast. Now I am wondering if anyone has a fast way of removing all the thread bits that are stuck to the quilt. I think the batting will be toast but hopefully I can re-use the backing.


I don't know if you can see the quilting on this one. There seems to be a bit of a glare. I am using a panto that came with the frame called Oak Leaves by Keryn Emerson. It really suits the fall colours on this quilt. I am about half done and am really hoping I can finish it without having to turn it. I am using thin cotton batting so it is not as bulky as it would be with a higher loft batting. Also the design is only about 3 inches wide so it doesn't need as much harp room as some designs.

5 comments:

Myra said...

Hi Joyce!
Pity you have to rip out your quilting... What a pain hey?
I use my long tweezers that I got with my serger to pluck out the threads, and load them onto a piece of flannel beside me. Then I use a lint roller to pick up any left over loose threads? Works for me... 8-)
Love the Oak Leaves quilting pattern you are using.
Happy stitchings!

Paula, the quilter said...

Run a white eraser like a Magic Eraser over the line of stitching with the grain of the fabric. It will loosen the small pieces of thread and allow them to be picked up with a roller. HTH.

Kay said...

I was going to say masking tape, but these ideas are probably better. What a bummer of a job!

Glad to have your comment on my blog.

jovaliquilts said...

Recently I saw a Fons & Porter tip that suggested using an emery board. I was afraid it would hurt the fabric, so I used it delicately and it didn't work too well. Then I tried it with a little more gumption (not too much!) and it worked great -- better than any roller or tape or anything else I've tried. I've used it for a few months now and it hasn't harmed any fabric even a bit. Unstitching a whole quilt must be very tedious, sorry.

meggie said...

The oak leaves will be perfect on your queen size quilt.
I like the kaliedascope blocks you are making too.