Monday, October 22, 2007
Today I did major surgery on Merry Sunshine. I just couldn't get the sun's rays to work out. I had cut the rays with the wrong angle and I kept getting a weird space in the middle no matter how I placed them. I couldn't re-cut the rays because I have no more yellow. I would love to have used the firey looking orange that I had but there is only a tiny piece left. Finally I cut a big piece of blue and top stitched the rays and the sun to it. The first ray on the right is still a bit off but since it's a wonky quilt after all, I decided to leave it. It also eliminates the problem of how to stabilize the top for hanging. It does lose something by being square but, hey, you go where the quilt takes you!
I made another little quiltlet today, starting with an idea from The Uncommon Quilter. She has some beautiful crayon rubbings taken from toombstones. I have some fabric crayons that I got at, yes you guessed it, the thrift shop. I have been wanting to try them so here was my chance. Not having a toombstone handy,I used green crayon over a round leaf repeated three times. It may need a bit more quilting, maybe in a different color. I'll hang it on my bulletin board and see if it speaks to me in the next couple of days.