Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Reindeer Moss


I know, I know, two posts on the same day but they are on totally different subjects. I'll get to 400 faster this way too! This is the woods near Nelson House, not far from Thompson, carpeted in Reindeer Moss. Apparently, when the soil is very poor there is no other undergrowth that can survive. It was a magical spot. We hated to step on it but it was unavoidable. There was also a brighter green moss that looked like tiny stars.



This next picture is of Labrador Tea. It turns a wonderful orange color in the fall and the leaves can be made into tea, as the name suggests. The pink plant beside it is Fireweed.



This picture is a close up of Fireweed. I'm not sure if the name comes from it's resemblance to fire or because it is one of the first things to grow after a forest fire. Either way, it is a beautiful plant. They are all inspiring for a landscape quilt.



Finally, here is a picture of a Lynx that was crossing the road just ahead of us. There were two of them but the first one disappeared into the woods before anyone could get their camera ready. They were quite large, probably the size of a large dog but shaped like a cat. I was not at all tempted to get out of the car and follow them into the bush!

16 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that reindeer moss pictue is beautiful! the Lynx is amazing. I stared and stared at it before I read what it was - I thought it looked like a big baboon type monkey! Very cool!

Lynda said...

Beautiful photos. The fireweed is called rosebay willowherb in the UK, don't ask me why. I think fireweed is probably a better name, as I know it was the first thing to grow on bomb sites after WW2.

Lily Mulholland said...

Lovely photos Joyce - Romily saw them and said 'lots and lots of pretty colours' - yes there are!

And wow to the lynx!

Meeri said...

Are you in Lappland, Finland? Fireweed is Horsma in Finnish.

meggie said...

These pics were wonderful, as it is such a different landscape to ours.

Jeanne said...

Oh, how wonderful to see that lynx! I'm always in awe of nature's creatures.
Jeanne

Darcie said...

Fabulous photos, Joyce! I knew you'd capture the beauty of the North on camera for us!

KC Quilter said...

What a fantastic photo of the lynx! How lucky you were to see one--especially from the safety of your car. And the reindeer moss is beautiful. I've only seen in in packages at the craft store LOL!

Gisele Schoene said...

Wow! So many nice plants I never saw before. Beautiful colors! And a lynx! I would love to see one in the wild (from inside the car).
It looks like fall is upon Canada. It is still hot and dry here in Tennessee. Thanks for the encouraging comment you left on my blog about the mosaic. It is almost done.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Love the nature pics...and your MAM's look great! Tracey

atet said...

Beautiful photos -- though I'm with you, lovely lynx to look at, no temptation to follow it whatsoever! Love those mile a minute blocks as well!

carmel said...

Oh dear! i thought MAMs referred to mammaries. i was wondering if you were had other photos up that i was unaware of! LOL! then I read the mile a minute thing and it all made sense again... whew!

Clare said...

I'm sorry but I had to giggle. Reindeer Moss and Labrador Tea - oh dear. The Mile a Minute is looking good. Joyce - your living/kitchen area is gorgeous. Do you want to house swap!!!!!!

Ali Honey said...

One of the ladies in my group recently returned from a trip to Canada and one of the fabrics she purchased while there is fireweed plants.(as well as fabrics with bear paws and wolves and maple leaves and otters etc.)

Willeke de la Chambre said...

What a nice colours at your pictures. Lovely! The lynx looks great. Powerful creatures!
The only 'wild' animal I sometimes see is a hare or a hedgehog (big smile) Bye, Willeke

Rose Marie said...

Lucky you to see a lynx! What are the chances of seeing one in the open like that. When my DH and I went to Alaska, I bought some fireweed seeds but have yet to plant them.