Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2009

Bend the Rules with Fabric by Amy Karol


If there's anything I enjoy about sewing, it's bending the rules so this book is right up my alley. Also, lately I have been interested in stamping, dyeing and painting on fabric and that is exactly what this book is all about. It is aimed at the novice so there is quite a comprehensive section on design elements, materials and even ideas on setting up your work space.
The first projects use paint with brushes, stamps and stencils. If you are not confident in your drawing skills, one idea is to paint on toile. That way the drawing is already done for you.
Chapter 4 deals with computer transfers and mixed media on fabric. I have yet to try computer transfers but when I do want to give it a try, this chapter will lead me step by step. One very cute idea is making dolls with photo transfers of the faces. Who wouldn't want a doll with their own face on it? Or a baby pillow with the baby's picture on it...
The next chapter is all about dyeing including dye painting, using a resist and using a bleach pen. The project I like best is the whole-cloth quilt. I don't suppose that is much of a surprise.
The last chapter is all about applying yarn, thread and appliques to your projects. My favorite idea was thread drawing children's drawings onto their clothes.
She includes templates for the projects she has illustrated and a page you can copy to make note-taking easier.
If you want to bend the rules a bit and love fabric, this is the book for you.

3 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Well this sounds very fun and happy for all the sewing people and folks that like to try new things, too! Very cool of you!!! I'm not so much of that ilk but you know, it some things still catch my eye - just not my fingers. :) Like the dolls with photo transfers of faces. That sounds neat.

Darcie said...

Oooh...thank you, Joyce, for the book reviews. Both of your latest book purchases sound pretty intriguing! Enjoy!

Happy weekend to you!

jovaliquilts said...

You certainly do bend the rules and with great results! Sounds like a neat book, haven't heard of it before.