Search This Blog

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Chickens




I tried the quilt with no sashing and, although you do see a secondary pattern, it's too jumbled looking. I will just continue my search for the right gray. I am thinking there might be a batik that is mostly gray with a soft pattern on it. I can wait until I find the right one, or maybe dye some muslin that I have.

I have made another chicken. I took a picture during the process. I build them up like Tonya's wonky houses or letters . I haven't been able to think of doing wonky yet because they are so complex to make. I start with a rough drawing divided into squares and triangles. Then I decide what colors would look good for each part.


Doing this one again, I would use triangles on the corners to round the head a bit. I would also try to put triangles on the end of the brown wings. I am debating whether I should embroider eyes or glue on plastic one s that I have or just leave them as they are. I will decide that later when I start to assemble them. I want to try a rooster as well.

12 comments:

Shelina said...

Your chickens are all just so adorable. As to the sashing, I didn't like the gray, but I did like it without sashing, and with the sashing continuation that Nellie suggested. I think it is good when you can't see where the block starts and ends. If you can't find the right gray, you might want to look at the whites. Or a different black and white print. I like the way it looks with blank spaces on your design wall.

Patti said...

They are all turning out so cute! I know you didn't ask - but if they were my chickens I think I'd sew on different little buttons for their eyes.

DubiQuilts - Quilts and Fiber Arts said...

I like the button idea for the eyes. They are very cute.

I like the sashing but not the grey. I do see the secondary design.

meggie said...

This is fun! I love that last chicken in the pics. Very interesting to see how you design them.

Duyvken said...

fantastic chickens, Joyce, they are just adorable!

comicbooklady said...

I love your 'free-range' chickens! Lots of fun! I also think the black and white sashing is nice for the blocks. I like the way it adds a new pattern.

Libby said...

You are really on a roll with the chicks - they are just great.

Silverthimble said...

I am impressed by your chickens! Well done!

Cynthia said...

your chicken blocks are coming along nicely.

Tonya Ricucci said...

Great details - I love the little triangles on the head. See, you get better and better as you go. Marvelous job.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

did you draw those out on graph paper? Or start sewing/cutting-no pattern. either way, very nice.

Kate North said...

Personally, I like the black and white sashing and am not crazy about the no-sashing look. And I agree that particular grey doesn't work. Not very helpful, probably, but for what it's worth... I'm enjoying the chickens, I have to say, and I'm not really a chicken person at all - or at least, not in quilts - I like 'em fine in red wine with some bacon...