Search This Blog

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Rooster




Here is the little iron I bought yesterday. It comes apart amazingly. It has a problem with the steam part. The little piece that the spring fits into should clip into the other part somehow but won't stay in. I just left the steam part off and use it dry. It is so light for ironing blocks that it saves my arm a lot. If I need steam I just use a spray bottle.



Here is a Chinese drawing book with a rooster. I have been trying to use it as a base pattern but I don't really like the results so far. Maybe I need to graph this one. I will go a bit farther with it before I give up and start over. Sometimes they look terrible and then you add a few more pieces and suddenly they look right. Possibly the addition of wings and tail feathers will help.


And finally, here are the chickens with some eyes. I just stuck them on with masking tape to see how they would look. Having eyes certainly changes the expression of all the chickens. I'm not sure if a quilt needs eyes but if it ends up as a wall hanging I will probably go with these eyes.


12 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

Looking good! Those plastic google eyes make them all look anxious and scared of something "down there", though.

meggie said...

Wow! I love that rooster, as far as he goes.
The chickens all look good, all have character.
I must get my little iron up & running- I located it, & cant believe I havent tried it since I got it.

Simonetta said...

Ohhh!!!!The rooster it is so lovely :)))And the little iron it is really useful you have made a good purchase :)))

Libby said...

If they didn't have eyes - how would they see *s* I'm thinkin' that rooster looks pretty darned good.

Paula, the quilter said...

How about instead of the 'google' eyes take some muslin or white fabric and paint the black part on it. Cut it out bigger and either hand appliqué or fuse appliqué them on. I used this technique on my Reindeer Portrait wall hanging. The eyes really add a punch to those chicks!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

a small plain black button for eyes sounds good. Although, google eyes are almost always a hit. Depends on if you want a more country look-button then.

Diana said...

I don't know...the google eyes look a lot like chicken eyes to me. They DO look a little worried, but so do most chickens.

They are looking great, Joyce!

Ali Honey said...

You do realise that putting a rooster in with all those chickens is going to cause Havoc! He'll be chasing them all over the house....maybe don't give him legs! LOL!

Lily Mulholland said...

They look like they're watching us now! The rooster is looking fine Joyce. Need to stick an eye on him too. Eggsactly!

Clare said...

I think you have to have one rooster to every 4 hens so perhaps you ought to make another one. The eyes do look very "hen'ish".

Susan said...

Those hens will be so glad to get a rooster..........

Katrina said...

Hey I have that iron too! It's not the best iron in the world but it it GREAT for small pressing and paper peicing :) I love thrift shop finds too :)
Take Care;