Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Just When You Think You're Done...


Just when you think you've done the last chicken you realize there is a big space just right for one more. Thus, I spent a couple of hours making one more chicken. It's the one in the upper left corner. The one with the very straight back. It's from a border print and I had planned that the bit of green on the top of the back would be in the seam but I miscalculated and didn't notice until it was all done and up on the design wall. It may be part Mallard. It's surprising how much smaller the blocks get when they are trimmed and sewn together. I still need several eggs to fill in the remaining spaces unless I go for some green fabric or stone looking fabric.
The rooster and the hen and chick below him are sewn together as well as the two on the upper right. The three to the left are almost ready to put together. The dark one needs another small strip of background fabric first. Most of the work still to do is on the lower right .
There have been a couple of suggestions that the background be a large chicken house. I am thinking of how I woud do that. I'd probably put all the words on the top just under the roof. It may be too big to look good though. Another option woud be a fence around them. Or I could put my fabric that looks like stones on the bottom and some sky on the top. There are a lot of options.

14 comments:

meggie said...

Very interesting to see another chook, & read your thoughts of how to put it all together. I rather like the idea of the chicken house, but as you say, it could be a bit cumbersome?

Lisa said...

Joyce I love your chickens, and the humour of the words. It's going to be a great quilt you get it all together.

quiltpixie said...

the green back is great! intended or not, it looks like one of those special prize chickens at the country fair ;-)

Quilts And Pieces said...

They are wonderful! But I sure could see a chicken house around them! I still love the rooster!

Lily Mulholland said...

You're not feeling 'clucky' are you Joyce? LOL - sorry I am no help at all. I like your part-Mallard addition to the family. I will be VERY interested to see how you pull it all together.

Cynthia said...

so far it's all looking good and i can't wait to see what you do next.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Great design! I like that you didn't make them all facing the same direction.

dot said...

Looking good.

Toni said...

I once saw some chicken wire fabric that would be cool in you quilt..I think this is one cool quilt...you do nice work..Toni

Tonya Ricucci said...

love the new chick too. they're all wonderful. Man, I was going ot suggest teh chicken wire fabric too, but I was beaten to the punch.

Nellie's Needles said...

FUN to look at. That you had fun making it is evident in the joyfulness of the piece.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

This is so much fun, you've done an amazing job! A chicken coop would make such an adorable setting option but I know whatever you come up with will be just perfect for the flock!

Unknown said...

Its looking brilliant Joyce! - love the idea of having them all in a big hen-hut

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Joyce,

I've been watching the progress of your fun chicken quilt with great interest. There is something about chickens, I just love (I have a kitchen full of them). I have made a few chicken blocks myself, but they have been put aside awaiting more inspiration.

I love the words. In fact, I love it all and can't wait to see what you decide for the final setting.

I thought I'd delurk to let you know how much your work is appreciated by this often silent reader.