Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Thrift Shop Treasures

Yesterday I didn't have much time to sew so I cleaned up the studio so I could get right at it today.


Here are my latest thrift shop treats. The magazines are all fairly recent which is rare at thrift shops. Most of them are from the 90's or earlier. The little iron works but I don't know yet how useful it will be. At $1.oo it won't have to be used very often to be a bargain. It has a teflon sole plate and a tiny water sparyer on the front. I don't know if the sprayer works. I plugged it in when I got home and it heated up. It could be that the thermostat doesn't work but it looks almost unused so I am thinking it will work fine.

10 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I just love thrift shops these days. It seems to have become a hobby of mine. Your iron sounds a bit like a travel iron, could be very useful for crafting.

Donna said...

wonderful finds... my first thought with the iron was "oh, a great workshop iron", easy to transport, not a "huge" loss if damaged :-)

Anonymous said...

I've never thought to look through the magazines when browsing the books at the thrift stores... duh. LOL Love the little iron. I've heard that quilters use them right next to their sewing machines--sort of a mini ironing center--so they don't have to get up and down so much when piecing blocks.

meggie said...

Great finds! I have just remembered I got a little iron like that at a garage sale for $1, too. Now where have I stashed it??LOL I really need to have a cleanout here, so I can locate it!

And, as to the magazines, -too many are never enough! haha.

Diana said...

I love those old Quilter's Newsletter magazines. It seems like there is always something interesting in one of them.

Libby said...

Love to look through old magazines. Things that were once not at all appealing suddenly can become very interesting.

Elaine Adair said...

Hey, Joyce - were you at my house picking up my stuff? That photo looks just like one of my corners, complete with the iron and my same magazines?

I am just about ready to begin to commence to start to clear out my magazines but I never thought about giving them to the Good Will Store.

Glad you had some fun.

Lily Mulholland said...

Very nice haul there Joyce. I can never find anything remotely useful at our thrift shops!

Rae said...

Hi
I am Rae's dear husband.. She has had a heck of a time posting coments .. I am trying to be a hero and fix this problem. So please indulge me this test

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Great husbands are wives heros!!

anyway...everything old is new again, and great quilting inspiration is no exception. We've come a long way with fabric, especially. Those old patterns worked in todays fabrics will be even more spectacular than the originals.