Saturday, August 02, 2008
I put the K Quilt to the side for the moment and concentrated on finishing some quilting on the big machine. I finally finished this autumn wall hanging. I love the letters but am less crazy about the landscape. I thought doing a landscape quilt would be fun but I find it's not for me. The orange bushes in the front look unfortunately like fire. I thought I could improve it with quilting but not so. I must have changed top threads fifty times while quilting this one. At least I am getting faster at threading the machine.
This morning I finally tackled quilting the braid one. I was super careful loading it but not quite thinking enough. I usually load them sideways so that I have long rows but fewer of them. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on this one because I have to go the same direction as the braids. I finished the first row along the border and when I unrolled the quilt one turn I realized that it wasn't going to work at all. Now I can either rip out the tiny, intricate pattern or hand baste it and treat it as one thickness rather than rolling the back and front separately. I'm not at all sure that will work though and I may end up with lots and lots more ripping out. I also thought of basting it on the machine with water soluble thread if I can find any in the stores around here. Maybe I'll just go back to bed for the day!