Search This Blog

Friday, January 02, 2009

Do I Really Need Another Sewing Machine?


Probably Not. Today we went to a Coffee Shop/Antique store that just opened in town. After drinking our coffee we browsed the antiques and I found this old hand crank Singer. It's not pristine by any means and the top of the case is missing. It is pretty old. I checked the Singer site and it looks like it was made in Clydebank, Scotland in either 1910 or 1916. The instruction book is like new and according to it, this machine could be mounted on a cabinet to become a treadle machine. The slot at the right is for the belt to go through.


This is a picture of the crank on the end. I'm going to clean it up and try it out tomorrow. It turns quite easily so I think with a bit of oil, there is no reason why it won't work. There are also all the usual attachments with it too. I think it was quite a find for $45.

14 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, that does seem like a good deal! A new toy for the new year!

pwl said...

Very pretty! I try not to look for sewing machines any more - I sort of ran out of room :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Well at least you can still sew when the electicity goes out. I have always been intrigued with the hand crank ones but don't own one.

jovaliquilts said...

Seems an incredible deal! Congratulations! My great aunt made all her clothes on a treadle machine until she died in 1980. I don't know what became of her machine.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how cool! I just love old machines! What a find!

Mattie said...

I have a handcrank that I love. When we use to go camping it went along. There is something sootheing about the mechanics turning and stitching. You could pick a project and do the whole thing with it. Enjoy!

Donna said...

what a lucky person you are! I'd love to find a hand crank for that sort of price...

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Do you need another sewing machine Joyce? In a word.....yes!

TB said...

It's beautiful! And I see the potential in it, from the pics. I think you made a good decision buying it.

Marla said...

I'm very jealous. I have no room for any antique machines. You keep buying them so I can oogle ok!

Judy said...

I love your machine! When I was on a trip to London with my husband several years back, we went to Brighton and found a lovely old hand crank in a sewing machine shop. It was for sale (of course) and so my dh bought it for me AND carried it back home to Atlanta for me. Since he was flying the trip, he kept it in the cockpit just for safekeeping...otherwise I would never have purchased it. I did use it one time when we had a power outage and it was great fun!

Have fun with your new baby.

xo

Darcie said...

Smart marketing: Coffee...antiques. Hope business is good for them!

What a sweet find. I love that you've rescued it and will provide some TLC! Show us the "after" please, won't you?!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha
For dad it's old greasy tractors and cars.
For you it's old greasy sewing machines!
For me it's old greasy.....
well, never mind! hahahaha
Glad to see the genetics run true!

Clare said...

Snap! I've got one exactly the same. Picked it up at the Singer shop for £5 years and years ago and I used it on my first quilts. It pieced my denim quilt and although it needs a bit of a clean, it's still going strong.

I didn't know that you can use it on a treadle though. Will have to look for a table now!