Search This Blog

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Ready for the Hand Work


Here is the Mocha quilt just off the frame and trimmed. After I took the picture I sewed the binding on and now I only have a couple of miles of hand sewing to do. The meander goes really fast and would have gone faster if I hadn't threaded the machine wrong at one point (the thread was not between the two tension plates) and had to rip out half a row because it was all loopy on the back. I'm quite happy with how this has turned out. I'll be making a couple of pillow shams to go with it. I'll try to get a picture of it in it's new home when I deliver it.

I learned a couple of really useful things on this project. First, I learned a lot about arrangement. It was set up in a way that I have never done but might try again with ultra brights and blacks. Also, I never use bias bindings, thinking it's such a pain to cut. I used a hint from Happy Endings by Mimi Deitrich and found it really easy to cut. Then, as a bonus, the ends are already cut at the right angle so it's super easy to sew together. Also, since this binding is a stripe, it looks great on an angle.

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks great! I know what you mean about a couple miles of hand sewing. That's how I always feel about it too.

Brenda said...

It's beautiful. I'm impressed how quickly you progressed from fabric shopping to finished quilt -- less than two weeks, right? I like the large scale prints. I haven't quite figured out how the blocks went together for the contrast between light and dark -- I'll have to take another look. great work.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

Your quilt is stunning! I love it, and the colors are very rich looking. Nice job!

Lise said...

Joyce, you've done a super job,,,you've been very busy, and wow love the colors and pattern...happy stitching Lise

Willow Grove - Kez said...

I love the pattern on the quilt and the colours too. It is a very big quilt. Happy binding.

jovaliquilts said...

I'll have to check out that bias binding cutting tip because it seems like more work to me, too (also seems to use more fabric). For stripes, bias is the way to go. Please show us a section with the binding -- would love to see it. The stripes sound like a great idea with the floral border and the angled quilt.

meggie said...

It looks fantastic! Love it.